Saturday, November 21, 2015

Reasons 2B Cheerful 21/11/15

As has been said, there's not much to be cheerful about in the world this week. However, we are all trying to keep our own little corner of it comfortable and safe. There are more Reasons 2B cheerful posts on the linky over at Ojo's World. In that vein here are my reasons to be cheerful this week.

1. I got so into repurposing pretty dishes that live year in year out at the back of a cupboard, that I did some more.

Before 
After
2. It was International Compost Day on Friday (apparently although I can't find anything about it online). There were posters about it all over our neighbourhood and DD's school officially opened its new composter. The idea is to use the compost on the school vegetable garden next spring. We all collected our pips and peelings for a week and took them into school. In return we were given a baby lettuce to plant. So we did.

Looking a bit sorry but we're keeping it well watered and the sun's out...
3. Also at the school they had their annual Heath Robinson style flyng egg competition. Children build contraptions that are supposed to gently float an uncooked egg down to the ground when it's thrown off the roof (by a few parents and teachers - no children on the roof). Obvioulsy there are rules e.g. it has to be a flying machine or parachute style, not an egg so embedded in bubble wrap that it could survive anything. Lots of fun.

4. My shy daughter who won't speak to anyone until she's been in the same room as them for about a day, told me how you get up on the roof. "Do you know how I know that? I asked Etti." Etti is the Headmistress. I was astonished. "What, you just went up to her and asked her?" I never spoke to my Headmistress when I was in primary school unless she spoke to me first. I'm delighted that our Head is so approachable and that DD feels comfortable to go and ask her a question.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love the idea of that egg competition! What a great way to encourage science and engineering in young children. Love your idea for re purposing, may take a look in the back of my cupboard lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the egg flying is very popular. And the dish repurposing has been great - I've rescued about 15 items so far from the back of the cupboards.

      Delete
  2. Everyone should have a flying egg competition, that's fabulous! And I love your repurposing, I do similar here, I hate things hidden away, if you love them, use them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun event brought back by popular demand each year. I'm trying to think of what else I can repurpose - unfortunately none of my little boxes is big enough to double as a dining table. ;)

      Delete
  3. egg competition, now that sounds like fun - glad your Head Mistress is such an approachable person. I don't remember being able to talk to our principle without flinching. Such an imposing man! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never spoke to our Headmistress unless I was spoken too - I wouldnt have even wanted to.

      Delete