Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jerusalem Closed and Divided

Perhaps that title's a little dramatic but that's what it feels like. We woke up this morning to this:


And then it got worse - or better, depending on your viewpoint (both physical and philosophical).


You'll notice that all my photos are taken from inside my apartment with the doors shut. DD, ever her mother's daughter, took one look at it this morning and declared, "hoohoohoo We're not going outside in this. I'm definitely not going out in this!" I readily agreed.


No school today and people are forgiven if they don't make it to work (though apparently they won't get paid). Even though transport is free today to discourage people from driving, all public transport has been suspended till about 2pm, when the snow is expected to ease off. And, as far as I understand, all the roads in and out of Jerusalem are closed.


From the activity on facebook this morning, it would seem that Jerusalem is not only closed but it is also divided. There is a clear division between those who were up early and out enjoying the crisp winter wonderland (mostly mothers of boys funnily enough), and those who have battened down the hatches and are exploring the great indoors.


We are enjoying it all vicariously of course, through the window and via facebook. We heard the children from upstairs whooping down the stairwell with squeals of, "sheleg! Sheleg!" (snow, snow - obviously). My friend told me on the phone that she was out very early enjoying the snow with the dog who was off the lead and in his element. There is not one part of this statement I can begin to comprehend.


Pictures are appearing on fb of children building snowmen and throwing snowballs. The heavy American influence has introduced snow angels to the neighbourhood. Enjoy, my friends - we'll appreciate the photos and do our bit by putting the potatoes in the oven to bake and boiling the milk for hot chocolate.


Later we're expecting the hoards from Tel Aviv and the centre of the country to arrive to see the snow. Of course they have to go to school first (tee hee hee).

And finally, I risked life, limb and dignity to walk 1.5 metres onto my balcony and take a couple of photos from the great but freezing cold outdoors.

The upstairs neighbours

And now it's back to watching Shrek, drinking hot apple cider and maybe baking biscuits later.

20 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful - now I want to come and visit ............... itchy feet want to start travelling again very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are invited to my place, but I would suggest that Jan/Feb are not the best times to visit.

      Delete
  2. It's such a wimpy amount of snow. Now I know how Buffalonians and Minnesotans feel about those of us on the East Coast.

    Enjoy, or not, as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's even wimpy compared to London but they don't deal with it here as it only happens once every 3 years and not usually this much. It's cheaper to shut down for a day than buy and store all the equipment to deal with it.

      Delete
  3. That is so UNFAIR! I'm longing for snow. Thought Israel was supposed to be a hot kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for nine months of the year. Three months of winter are cooler in the centre of the country but bloody freezing in the mountains. Jerusalem is in the mountains.

      Delete
  4. Loved this post - made me chuckle, and the photos are fab. This might sound very ignorant but is snow a regular thing in Jerusalem - instinct tells me no. Great post title! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Once every three years on average and only heavy like this every 10 - 15 years or so.

      Delete
  5. Wow I would never have thought about snow here! Very ignorant of me - we are due a very very cold snap for 3 weeks its got colder here already so we may well be joining you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference is that here is lasts one or two days at the most rather than three weeks! We have no school when there is even a tiny bit of snow so three weeks would be ridiculous.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Like the others, I feel very ignorant. Never imagined you having snow. It's forecast here for the weekend... brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in the mountains (Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria, and the North. Not in Tel Aviv or the Negev.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Snow in Jersalem - is that a rare thing?
    I must admit I am a fan of snow days, something about everything being forced to stop appeals to me - I do like getting out and experiencing it and then returning to a warm home, shutting the door and snuggling up.
    Have you got wellies? you may be needing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wellies last year but they split. Very rare to have so much snow here. last time we had this much was about 15 years ago.

      Delete
  8. What fabulous pictures! Is it still with you? We woke up to the white stuff again this morning too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gone by Friday afternoon. But we went to Tel Aviv on Friday afternoon and stayed until Saturday night. We walked along the beach in the sunshine and collected shells.

      Delete
  9. It's just amazing, like a special bit of history :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather amazing even though I don't like going out in it.

      Delete
  10. I'm like you and prefer the warm, though G11 and her Dad relish the snow and can't wait to get out and play. We had this dumped on Wales yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet yours lasts longer than ours did. Keep warm xx.

      Delete