Sunday, August 12, 2012

First Proper Playdate

Today we had our first proper playdate. Proper means that the friend came to our house and his mummy didn't stay. Until now it's been the children playng with the mummies sitting over a chat and a coffee. And today was a full day. It was great!

We started early as I had to clean a bit - well just the bathroom and hoover the carpet, oh and make my bed for a change and sweep through. On the one hand I can't believe I cleaned for a 3yo but, on the other hand, guests is guests. Then we had to go and buy a few things for lunch. (How I spent almost 100nis [about 16 pounds] I will never know).

T came at 10.30 this morning. For the first hour and a half I was pottering about, doing my own thing, minding my own business, a bit of tidying a bit of computer time... They played beautifully together. It was lovely to hear them nattering away like a couple of old women. At one point, on the toy phones, I overheard DD saying, "T, I've got three phones you can't take home." She was a bit pre-occupied with ensuring we all understood that he wasn't allowed to take any of her toys home.


Then they started to take the puzzles out and needed some help with some of them. I also wanted to be on hand to make sure that each puzzle was put away before the next one came out.


After a late but leisurely lunch in which they hardly ate anything but, strangely, all the toasted cheese sandwiches got eaten by someone... we had ice lollies.


The afternoon was spent jumping on DD's bed and looking at her books. I read them a few stories. They also managed to find some toys in DD's bedroom that I'd forgotten we even had.

At 3.30 T's mummy came to collect him. I was delighted when he refused to put his shoes on because he was having such a good time.

Our house, that was clean (ish) and tidy this morning, is a complete mess. But we are the best sort of happy tired and can't wait to do it again soon. (I'm also looking forward to being the mummy who drops off her child and comes back five hours later :)).

12 comments:

  1. Looks like they had fun. And it's even better when you can drop your daughter over at a friend's for an afternoon! I call it freedom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I see something that looks a lot like freedom on the horizon...

      Delete
  2. Its great to be able to do it both ways. Good for you and the children and they get to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right - I haven't had my other way yet. However, even having them both here freed me up a lot more than when DD is here on her own. I had a very relaxing day by comparisson to normal.

      Delete
  3. DD is looking so adoringly at T, I'd say this is the start of a beautiful friendship :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently he was crying last week because Dd is changing nursery in September and he doesn't want top go back without her. I know I'm an older mother but I'm not quite ready for grandchildren yet.

      Delete
  4. The beginning of many "freedom " days. It won't be long before DD is planning her own play dates and having a sleep over! Enjoy every minute. it goes so fast.Its great that you'll have all these photos to remember these happy days.
    Gilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - I'm not ready for sleepovers yet :/ But here's to freedom days aplenty!

      Delete
  5. So sweet... And you get to have a few hours off too as well, perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great success! Messy houses mean lots of fun (I like to think. We are very messy) and surely a date in return to give you some time without messy children. It's such a sweet milestone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mouse. It was really a milestone. And I don't mind the mess really.

      Delete