Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tipsy Tart

Tipsy Tart is really a rich, dark pudding cake with a brandy flavoured syrup poured over when it's still hot. It's one of my favourite desserts. It's very popular in South Africa and all my SA friends make it - with various recipes. Actually it's a matter of taste, proven by the fact that I found tens of recipes when I googled it - necessary thanks to some secretive and protective cooks. Some make it with nuts (pecans or walnuts) and some recipes include bananas and dates. I am not a cake person - I don't see the point of cake except to hold the cream and icing together. I think one of my aversions stems from the fact that most of my friends bake with margerine instead of butter so that they can serve the dish with or after a meal that includes meat (kosher restraints). When I started keeping a meat-free kitchen I discovered that baking with butter really makes a big difference! However I still like my cake moist and chewy so I went for a banana/dates version.

Tipsy Tart

A. Combine the following ingredients and leave to cool:
1 cup sultana raisins
1 cup dates finely chopped
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water

B. Cream together 1/4 cup butter and 1 cup demarera sugar. Then  mix in 3 large eggs.

C. Combine 2 cups self-raising flour1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.

D. Mash 4 bananas.

E. Fold A and C into B and then mix in D. Pour into a buttered baking dish and bake for about 30 mins in a hot oven - until you have a moist sticky pudding rather than a dry cake.

F. Prick all over with a tooth-pick and pour the syrup over the top. For the syrup bring the following ingredients to the boil, add 1/3 cup brandy and bring to the boil again.
1 cup demerara sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp vanilla

Serve warm with cream or vanilla ice-cream. A dark, rich, helping of Heaven in a dish....

This post is linked the Saturday Recipe Swap at Lakes Sinlge Mum. Go and check it out - it's cake week!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm.....sounds delish. Although, when i saw the post title I thought you were going to share the details of a mad night out that ypou had where a drink or 10 was imbibed!!

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 slices of tipsy tart will have similar effect Jazzy - try it! :) Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcom Becky - it really is one of my favourite desserts.

    ReplyDelete